Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
Click Link to apply - https://ontarioelectricitysupport.ca/
Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
For Financial Assistance call NOTL Hydro at 905-468-4235. Ask for ‘Reach Out Niagara’
LEAP is a comprehensive and year-round emergency financial assistance program offered by the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) in order to assist low-income energy customers better manage their bill payments and energy costs. The delivery of LEAP relies heavily on the cooperation between utilities and social service agencies. Agencies screen and assess applicants in need.
The LEAP program is administered locally by Reach Out Niagara (R.O.N.), a registered charitable organization staffed by volunteers with the mandate to help Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL) residents who need temporary financial assistance. R.O.N. works directly with residents and the staff of Niagara-on-the-Lake Hydro when Hydro bills are in arrears and a disconnect notice is issued.
Do I Qualify?
In order to qualify, you must have a family income that falls below a certain limit. Those limits are laid out in a chart provided by the OEB. For more details, please go on-line to LEAP - CLICK HERE
How do I Apply?
Once you have started the process you will be contacted by a R.O.N. volunteer to confirm that you qualify for the program and may apply for assistance.
Once confirmed that you may apply, you will meet with two representatives of R.O.N. for an interview to complete the application process and submit it for review. You will be asked to provide some supporting paperwork, including:
- Current electricity and gas bills
- A disconnection notice, if you have received one
- A copy of a rental contract, lease or mortgage documents
- Proof of household income – cheque stub, employment letter, income tax return for adult members of household
- A copy of your most recent bank statement
R.O.N. volunteers will review the application presented and if you are approved, NOTL Hydro will be quickly contacted and asked to stop any further disconnection or collection activity on your account. The Hydro will also be notified if your application is denied.
How Does it Work?
- If approved, R.O.N. will forward the approved amount of financial assistance directly to NOTL Hydro on your behalf
- Low-income customers can qualify for up to $500 in emergency assistance and up to $600 if your home is heated electrically.
- The assistance is only available if you are behind on your bill – or in arrears. You cannot receive more money than you owe on your bill
- It is not intended for regular or ongoing bill payment assistance
- Financial assistance is a grant not a loan and you are not required to pay it back
For more information, please visit www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB/Consumers
Home Assistance Program
Eligible residents will receive a free home audit and can receive some free improvements to their lighting other electric intense appliances. For eligibility requirements and more information, please visit - https://www.saveonenergy.ca/Consumer/Programs/Home-Assistance-Program.aspx
Niagara-on-the-Lake"s provider is Greensaver - 1-855-591-0877