Niagara-on-the-Lake Hydro first began the process of Transformer box beautification in 2019 in partnership with the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, The Communities in Bloom Committee, and the Niagara Pumphouse Arts Centre. The program has been successful in celebrating local artists and beautifying the Town. Each year since 2019 there has been a call for entries with a theme attached to it. Local artists submit their artwork to the Pumphouse and several are chosen each year to be turned into a Transformer wrap. Winners are also given an honorarium.
The map below is a legend of where to find the transformers that are currently wrapped.
The gallery below are pictures of the transformer wraps noted in the map above:
|Niagara-on-the-Lake’s own |
Pumphouse Art Centre is your
first stop on this trip.
Jennifer Penner – 2019
Ricardo Street at King Street
Lindsey Kemp – 2019
Front Street near Victoria Street
|Paint the Town|
Brittany Blyth-Williams – 2021
|On With the Show|
Elaine Bryck – 2021
Lynne Gaetz- 2021
Elaine Bryck – 2019
Memorial Park off King Street
|Vineyard With a View|
Julia Kane – 2020
NOTL Community Centre on
|Cannas on Queen|
Lois Stevens – 2021
NOTL Fire Hall at Anderson
Lane and Niagara Stone Road
Shelley Locke – 2020
Garrison Village Shopping Plaza
on Niagara Stone Road
2022 Wrap Competition
Three of the town’s hydro boxes have been selected for this year’s competition. All submissions will be part of an exhibition in the Walker Gallery of the Niagara Pumphouse Arts Centre, August 5 to October 16, 2022.
2 of the winning designs will be chosen by a jury. The community chooses 1 winning entry as the People’s Choice winner by participating in a public vote, with each visitor able to cast a single vote. All winning submissions will be awarded a $500 honorarium.
Selected artworks will be transferred to vinyl wraps that will serve to beautify the following hydro boxes:
- L778: located in front of the Legion, measures 55″ x 77″ x 82″ (Height x Width x Length)
- 1009: located at Fort George, measures 55/57″ x 47″ x 58″ (Height x Width x Length)
- 1577: located at the golf course by the path to Fort Mississauga, measures 26″ x 36 x 48″ (Height x Width x Length)
- Artists must complete entry submissions by July 4, 2022.
- Artwork drop off for NOTL Hydro Box Beautification Group Exhibit at Niagara Pumphouse Arts Centre: August 2 or 3, 2022 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- NOTL Hydro Box Beautification Group Exhibit: August 5 – October 16, 2022
- People’s Choice Award Voting: August 5 – September 9, 2022
- Announcement of Winning Artworks & Award Ceremony: Thursday, September 15, 2022, 7:00 PM
- Target installation date on the hydro boxes: mid-September to early October
How To Vote:
- Visit the Niagara Pumphouse Art Centre to vote for your favorite artwork.